I look for a silver lining in every cloud. Sometimes I don’t find one, and sometimes it’s not immediately obvious; but I always look.
Picking tomatoes in the greenhouse the other day I knocked this beauty off – a Marmande Tomato. This was a case of a cloud with a green lining.
I discovered Fried Green tomatoes a couple of years ago, when the tomato season was coming to an end and I still had loads of unripe tomatoes on the plants, and we still had jars of green tomato chutney to use up from previous years. It’s a simple meal, a starter or perfect with a main dish. I like to dip them into some mayonnaise or with a dash of Hot Pepper Sauce or Tabasco – the choice is yours !
A fantastic discovery.
Fried Green Tomatoes in 7 easy steps
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices, approx 1cm ir 1/2 and inch thick.
2. In a bowl beat an egg.
3. Dip the sliced tomatoes in the egg mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, mix a tablespoon of cornflour and a tablespoon of bread crumbs, season with salt and pepper
5. Cover the dipped tomato with the flour and breadcrumb mix so they are well coated.
6. Heat a frying pan with a mixture of butter and olive oil – approx a tablespoon. When warm add the coated tomatoes in batches.
7. Fry the coated tomatoes until golden brown.
I love happy accidents.