I just love trying new recipes, and this one caught my eye; it’s a great way to deal with those Courgette gluts, and it sings out SUMMER to you.
I have a mix of courgettes – Jemmer, Cavili and White Volunteer which are perfect for this dish – different sizes, colours, shapes and textures.
I picked up this recipe from the Grapevine forum – so a monster sized thank you!
Pickling mix –
- 500ml of cider vinegar
- 120g sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow and brown mustard seeds – crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 500g courgettes
- 2 tbls salt
- 1 small onion
- Slice courgettes & onoin very thinly into discs (easier with a mandoline).
- Place in bowl and add salt & mix well. Cover with very cold water & stir to dissolve salt.
- After 1hr drain & dry thoroughly, either in salad spinner or between
- Combine pickling mix in saucepan & simmer for 3 mins. set aside until just
- Mix courgettes & onion with the cooled liquid. transfer to sterilised jars.
- Cover & refrigerate for at least a day before eating.
Will keep indefinitely in fridge.
- can also add dried chilli flakes to the mix for an added kick!